Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

II need to change spark plugs, I had them changed before and

Customer Question

iI need to change spark plugs, I had them changed before and mechanic said that he had problems getting them out and charged me up for it.
JA: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?
Customer: 200800 miles, right now they were changed at around 160000
JA: What is the model of your '198800 Ford?
Customer: 2006 Lincoln Mark LT
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am going to change myself, haven't started yet, wanted to get as much information as I could before I started.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

The engine in this vehicle does have a "known problem" with the spark plugs having a tendency to break during removal. If the plugs were changed once before, and the correct method was used to install the new spark plugs, the risk should be greatly reduced this time around. The "trick" here is to back the spark plug out a few turns, and then turn it back in a couple. Then out a few more, then back in. As long as you use this "working" motion, you should have no problems. To gain access to the plugs, the ignition coils will first need to be removed. The plugs are below. I've wrapped up the procedure into a PDF file for easier viewing/printing. Download the PDF file here: https://goo.gl/zKf8DW

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.