James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

My front disks were getting extremely hot, so I finally took

Customer Question

Hi. My front disks were getting extremely hot, so I finally took it to the shop. $1000 later with new calipers, rotors, and hoses, I still have the same problem. I did notice today that my pedal does not come all the way back. If I keep an eye on it and pull with my foot, no hot brakes. Are you a real person Pearl?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Ford Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Hi. My front disks were getting extremely hot, so I finally took it to the shop. $1000 later with new calipers, rotors, and hoses, I still have the same problem. I did notice today that my pedal does not come all the way back. If I keep an eye on it and pull with my foot, no hot brakes.
JA: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?
Customer: The brakes were just put on a week ago. 200 miles on the master and booster. As fr as miles, who knows; its a 72 bronco
JA: What year is your Bronco?
Customer: 1972
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Maybe. New calipers, rotors, pads, hoses, and has been bled multiple times
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Brakes work great except for the hot front brakes when I forget to pull the pedal up with my foot.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

Hello, it sounds like your master cylinder is sticking keeping the front brakes pressurized or applied. That would explain why when you pull the pedal back up the brakes aren't getting hot.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sounds good to me. How do I go about fixing that? I was almost thinking of adjusting some rod between the master and booster, but Id rather not. Ive also heard of people putting on return springs?
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.
Is the master cylinder is sticking I would replace with a new master cylinder. They aren't really worth overhauling anymore.