Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My ford e350 van stutters everytime I go uphill and

Customer Question

my ford e350 van stutters everytime I go uphill and sometimes when I accelerate quickly.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Any warning lights on or flashing?

Have you tried any diag or repairs yet?

Does this only occur above 45 mph?

Which liter engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No flashing or warning lights.Haven't take it to diagnostics because it costly and only needed as a last result.Yes, it happens at speeds above 45 mph.I believe it's a 5.4

I need to know if this only happens above 45 mph or can it also occur below 45?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it happens only above speeds of 45 mph

Thanks that means that this could be the torque converter clutch. If this is a rapid vibration/chatter that last 1-3 seconds then I would replace teh trans oil and add LUBEGARD additive.

If this is more of a jerking sensation like the vehicle has the hiccups then its more likely one of the ignition coils not providing enough power to one of the spark plugs. A tune up can be done but that would not address it if this is a coil. A scan tool that can run a power balance test is needed to find which cylinder is to blame.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.