Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

It won't start, won't crank and the anti theft light is

Customer Question

It won't start, won't crank and the anti theft light is flashing rapidly
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2004 Ford Freestar, started up two days ago with no problem and then today there was nothing
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, replaced starter, tested all relays, checked all the fuses and checked and cleaned all the ground terminals
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: yes. There is another problem that I have been working on on the van but is a seperate issue. I keep getting a P2196 and P2198 error codes. i have found that to be a short somewhere in the vehicle.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

As long as the battery voltage is good. The PATS light flashing fast means the computer thinks your a thief from a faulty key, transceiver or module issue. Do you get the same results from both keys? If so then the keys are likely not to blame. You will need to see which PATS codes are stored to see if there is a part needing diagnosed or replaced. Then once done you will need a scan tool to reprogram both keys back to the vehicle.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris