HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 2007 6.0 ps and I had problems with a ficm and

Customer Question

I have a 2007 6.0 ps and I had problems with a ficm and replaced it, did not start took it in a shop they went thru it and found the pcm is fried and not communicating, my question is what is the R&R time on diagnosing that it was the pcm? And do you think it's just the pcm?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello, mst shops would probably charge a couple of hours of diagnostic time to test the powers and grounds and any codes associated with a non communicating PCM. To replace the PCM they will probably charge 1 to 2 hours to replace and reprogram the PCM and to reprogram 2 PATS keys to the vehicle so the truck will start. The question is if it is the correct diagnosis and why the PCM failed. If it had an aftermarket tuner or any modifications installed which caused a failure or issue with an aftermarket FICM which was defective.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you I think I found why it failed just now with your info, I did have a sct x4 programmed on it and forgot to remove it, and I have another question is this able to be reprogrammed or will a refurbished or aftermarket preprogrammed pcm work,
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

The dealer way to do it is to install a new blank PCM and Reflash it. You can purchase preprogrammed PCM;s or send your out and have it repaired. It would be a plug and play, but you may still need to reprogram 2 pats keys in order for it to run.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok what are the PATS keys and a way to aquire them?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

These are the ignition keys. There is a factory security chip in them so the truck will not start unless it recognizes the secuirty chip. Whenever the PCM is replaced, they have to be reprogrammed to the vehicle, it is a protocol operation. You must have 2 ignition keys in order to program them. So if you only have one key(if equipped with PATS a red theft indicator in the dash) you will need 2.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating. If you need more help with this concern, let me know.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern? The question remains open until it is rated