Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

2008 Escape will not start. I happened a bit ago that every

Customer Question

2008 Escape will not start. I happened a bit ago that every now and then it would not start in the morning but cycling the ignition would allow it to start. Right now it just cranks but will not start. PATS light starts blinking fast as well.
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: Yes. Have fuel pressure. Have not checked spark.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I first checked the battery 13 volts. I was going to get my snap on scanner, but it is 50 miles away right now. I also do not think it works on pats
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of. cranks nice.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

A PATS issue causes a no crank condition.

I would check spark and injector pulse next since you already checked fuel pressure.

You also need a scan tool to check for codes.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

ASE Master Technician

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. Well I just pulled a coil and installed another plug in the coil and grounded it. bumped the ignition and it started on 3. Shut it off reinstalled the coil and it is starting fine now. I do notice that the light does not blink fast anymore either, it is acting normal now. I guess I will see what happens in the morning.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Ok let me know.