Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have an old Ford Focus (2005 - station wagon) but every so

Customer Question

I have an old Ford Focus (2005 - station wagon) but every so often, the Passive Anti-Theft System (I think it is a KARR system) locks the car so I cannot start the engine. Usually this happens if I use the remove buttons to unlock and lock the car (or open the passenger's side door or the hatch). The only think I do when this happens is that I unhook the battery terminals and wait an hour, then hook them up again, and I drive away. Fortunately, I only live 5 miles from work, so as long as I just drive myself, I'm ok. But this happens over and over and over....any suggestions?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: about a year I think
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: New Battery, new starter, the starter relay is fine, alternator is fine, so all I do is unhook the battery terminals (both) and wait an hour and it seems to reset the locking system and I can start the car.
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: not that I can think of right now thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

When this happens and it will not start is the theft light flashing rapid with the key in the run position?

Is there any aftermarket electronics on the vehicle?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris