Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I am the proud owner of a 1987 Ford F-150. 4.9L 6 cylinder.

Customer Question

I am the proud owner of a 1987 Ford F-150. 4.9L 6 cylinder. It is a beautiful truck but it just failed its smog test. According to the mechanic readout, it failed the Ignition Timing test: 15 BTDC, and it failed Fuel Evaporative Controls. CO (%) measured 1.93 at 15 mph, and 2.59 at 25 mph. Do you have any suggestions on how I can repair this myself? The garage wants an excessive amount of $$$ to fix which I can't afford. I also can't afford a new truck.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you remove the timing connector at the distributor harness (SPOUT) and check the base timing what is it set at?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I get back to you later. It will take me a while to get over to the truck to check it. thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Yes you sure can,Im here all day. Post back when your ready and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This should be done with a timing light, right?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Yes that is correct, pull the SPOUT connector and run the engine and see if your base timing is set at 10 degrees before top dead center.