James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Batteries drained from dome light on, removed and charged

Customer Question

batteries drained from dome light on, removed and charged both batteries. reinstalled. now no power to loghts, radio, horn,windows, etc. passenger power seat has power.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: consistent, nothing
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008 f250 diesel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. checked some fuses
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: batteries were removed and charged to full
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.
Hello, can you send me a photo of your battery connections?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
where to? have an email address?
it's a ford f250, 6.4L diesel, has duel batteries
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my battery connections are fine. the batteries are fully charged and load tested. they were removed and charged, then reinstalled. Now there is no power to anything except the passenger power seat. No lights, no radio, no power windows, no dome light, no chime from the dash when key is inserted in ignition. I need answers on what fuses I can check, or whatever.
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.
On each of the battery positive there are additional cables. On the driver side there is one more cable that connects to the positive post. On the passenger side there are 3 or 4 depending on the options. One on each side is known to fall down and become lost under the hood. If you had power prior that is why I asked to see a photo of the batteries. Not one fuse controls everything. This means you have a power issue.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The cables are all good, attached and clean. They were removed from battery posts only. Cleaned and reinstalled. The only power in the truck is at passenger power seat. Nothing else works. No chime when key inserted, no dome light, radio, etc.
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.
Is there any corrosion or oxidation under the terminal studs.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There was a little on the driver side positive terminal, which I cleaned. I do regular maintenance on the vehicle. Including cleaning the terminals. All cables look good.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I should've charged the batteries while in the truck, but I removed both and cared them. Thus losing the 12v to the trucks electronics. PCM, etc. When I contacted the last terminal it was the passenger side positive. It probably should have been the negative.
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

on both batteries you get 12.6v when you go to the fuse panel under the hood most of them should have 2v on both sides with the key off. Do you get battery voltage at all of the fuses?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will check under hood on drivers side fuse box tomorrow. Pulled fuses front passenger side fuse box all seem good.
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

sounds good. we want to see what fuses under the hood aren't actually getting battery voltage