Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1986 F150 and my brakes are wonky. Lately i come to a stop

Customer Question

1986 F150 and my brakes are wonky. Lately i come to a stop and i swear the pedal goes to the floor. I also hear screeching noises when stopping also, I'm guessing there is more then one issue here.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David. your brakes are what??? if the pedal goes close to the floor and you hear a screeching noise, chances are you need new brakes and rotors.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok but there could be nothing else wrong, i have been told to check a "break booster" and other things but i don't know where to go from here. I can visually check the pads and rotors but i want to have a full game plan as what are all the possibilities and how to check them. thanks again!

check the pads and rotors. then depending on their condition we will go from there with a game plan

any update?

hello???

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no update. i will probably be working on it tomorrow.

ok

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok so the rear brakes aren't working at all- i have jacked it up and the emergency brake does nothing, and pressing the brake pedal does nothing to stop either rear tire. the front brakes are working fine. so, what do i need to fix here?

ok. look at the brake fluid reservoir, if its a 2 chamber one, make sure both are totally full then we can go further

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
both are completely full

ok. break open the bleeders on both rear wheels, pump the pedal see if anything comes out on either one

if not then we might be looking at a proportioning valve issue

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ya i do not see any fluid out either valve.

no leaks? then un do the rear lines at the proportioning valve and see if fluid is getting through it

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is fluid in this thing

is it getting through when the pedal is pressed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
seems like it

is it a decent stream of fluid?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

look undr neath the vehicle, follow the lines back to see if anything is kinked.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
nope

are there drums or rotors on the back...guess i should have asked that a while ago.

my guess since its a 86 is drums

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
drums

ok lets see if we can get fluid to the back by bleeding the brakes. do you have someone who can pump the brakes while you open the bleeders?

it is very possible of have air in the system. if its lots of air it will take a few times bleeding them before you see any signs of fluid. if the fluid is coming through the proportioning valve ports for the rear brakes and there are no kinks in the lines or hoses, its either air or both bleeders are blocked or both wheel cylinders are bad. thats it.