virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

2012 Ford Taurus won't start. Says 'need key'. Have tried

Customer Question

2012 Ford Taurus won't start. Says 'need key'. Have tried with both key fobs in car.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: They unlock the doors,etc. just got home. Grabbed something and came back out and had this problem.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If I can. Have an appt to get to. Tried back up method of starting in owner's manual. No luck.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, just no key detected message. The fobs control everything else.
Category: Ford
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Do you have other keys with the ford key that have chips in them? On the same key ring?Try removing all keys and have just one ford key in hand and try it.Let me know what happens.Thanks