Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My 1994 4.0l v6 explorer won't idle after it's been run and

Customer Question

my 1994 4.0l v6 explorer won't idle after it's been run and restarted. it seams to load up and takes a will to rev .
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 81000 4.0 v6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Seafoam in the gas hoping it was water.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It runs good down the road and start in the morning ok. you can smell gas after it is run and restarted.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. The most common cause of this condition is a bad fuel pump (fuel pressure too high or too low), a leaky fuel pressure regulator or a bad mass air flow sensor. All are very common. Another thing would be if the air intake snorkle from the mass air flow sensor to thr throttle body is cracked or ripped in anyway that would allow air to enter the engine that is not accounted for by the mass air flow sensor. Also, be sure that it is nice and tight on both ends (at the throttle body and air cleaner assembly).

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Some other less possible causes are a vacuum leak (which is after the throttle plate or throttle body) lazy idle air control motor which is located on the throttle body (sometimes it gets slow or weak over time and causes these sort of idles issues), bad TPS sensor, oxygen sensor or engine coolant temp sensor.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!