Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

2004 taurus, speedometer holds steady as I accelerate, but

Customer Question

2004 taurus, speedometer holds steady as I accelerate, but then jumps around all the way to zero. Transaxle light comes on and transmission will shift erratically.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the transaxle warning light. Also, there is a code I have not yet read.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, just attempting to diagnose the problem and see if I can fix it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 150 thousand miles on the taurus
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry for the ling wait

how often will it do this ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Occasionally at first, now, most but not all of the time, also, the tack works just fine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was checking some online comments on the issue and they were suggesting the speed sensor
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

yes the odds are the VSS located as seen here in this picture on the top of the passenger side of the transmission is bad or the wiring to it from the computer

visually inspect the wiring to the sensor as best you can if it looks good replacing that sensor should correct this issue you are having

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.

how are you making out ?