Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

My alternator keeps burning out in my 99 ford windstar, I

Customer Question

my alternator keeps burning out in my 99 ford windstar
JA: What year is your Windstar?
Customer: I have replaced the alternator 4 times within the year and 3 batteries
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive changed teh alternator and purchased a new battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: This worked fine for two weeks and then the van wouldnt start at all the next day
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Do you own a volt meter?

What brand alternator are you installing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I do not have a volunteer. I purchased the alternator from NAPA

Since you do not have the tool we need to diagnose this. I need to confirm what it is your wanting from this conversation. Is it just an answer as to what I believe is wrong since we can not diagnose it without this tool?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I went and brought a voltmeter and going to change out alternator. What test do I need to do ?

There are 2 tests we need to run. A drain test to see if the battery is draining while the car is off making the alternator work to hard and check the alternator wiring through the tests below.

If you get stuck doing these tests let me know. Aftermarket alternators do not work well on this vehicle since its a PCM controlled charging system.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I bought another battery and alternator. I am about to install these now. What tests do I perform after new installation?

You do the steps in the links I provided.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris