Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My alternator keeps burning out in my 99 ford windstar, I

Customer Question

my alternator keeps burning out in my 99 ford windstar
JA: What year is your Windstar?
Customer: I have replaced the alternator 4 times within the year and 3 batteries
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive changed teh alternator and purchased a new battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: This worked fine for two weeks and then the van wouldnt start at all the next day
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Do you own a volt meter?

What brand alternator are you installing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I do not have a volunteer. I purchased the alternator from NAPA

Since you do not have the tool we need to diagnose this. I need to confirm what it is your wanting from this conversation. Is it just an answer as to what I believe is wrong since we can not diagnose it without this tool?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I went and brought a voltmeter and going to change out alternator. What test do I need to do ?

There are 2 tests we need to run. A drain test to see if the battery is draining while the car is off making the alternator work to hard and check the alternator wiring through the tests below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/drain1.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/charge1.pdf

If you get stuck doing these tests let me know. Aftermarket alternators do not work well on this vehicle since its a PCM controlled charging system.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought another battery and alternator. I am about to install these now. What tests do I perform after new installation?

You do the steps in the links I provided.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris