Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

We tow a 40' 5th wheel with our 2008 Super Duty 250. The

Customer Question

We tow a 40' 5th wheel with our 2008 Super Duty 250. The electric brake doesn't work. Camping World just did a quick check before closing. It's not a fuse. There's power in the plug that hooks up the RV to the truck & all the lights, blinker, etc work, but when stepping on the brake, it no longer activates the RV brakes.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Yes!
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008 Super Duty F250.
Hold everything, he'll double check the brake fluid.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: He went to a Ford dealership, was charged $50 to be given the wrong answer. Had no luck elsewhere, but Camping World just did a quick check.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm the wife & he's out double checking the fluid, so just put a hold on our conversation until he returns, please.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Vieira replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome, My name is ***** ***** I will be working with you on the issue ar hand.

Have you tried to operate the trailer brakes manually?

There has to be a good ground between the truck and the trailer.

Next, we can discuss adjustment.

Try this: leave all your lights off and step on the brakes and see if you have any juice coming out of the trailer plug at all.

If you do, we need to make sure it's actually that is exciting the wire with all the lights off. Let me know.