EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

2006 Ford F-250 diesel fan clutch do not engage. Install new

Customer Question

2006 Ford F-250 diesel fan clutch do not engage. Install new clutch
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 9 months ago.

Hi. In the interior fuse panel can you check fuse 22 (20amp). This fuse may have blown. Can you check that and let me know? Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will have to check it tomorrow. Will get back with you then.

Ok. Sounds good.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The #22 fuse is good

Ok. Have you checked the computer for any codes?

Also, has the truck overheated? Does it come up to temperature on the gauge?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I haven't checked for codes yet but will. Haven't ran hot as far as I know of.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 8 months ago.

Just want to make sure that the engine is reaching operating temp so the fan clutch will come on.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the temperature gauge is coming up. Should the fan come on with the A/C. This is how I new it was not working. The A/C went from cold to not so cold.

The fan will come on slightly but maybe not enough to hear. The system uses a dual function pressure switch in the line as an input to the pcm to determine when the cooling fan should run. It is a 4 wire sensor on the ac line near the ac compressor. That could be the problem. Or you may just be low on freon.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The A/C system is properly charged. This sensor you are referring to is the high pressure sensor in the high pressure line.But will it stop the fan from working all together.

It COuld only stop the fan operation. The switch is designed to detect high pressure and either turn the fan on high or cut the compressor, off.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have broke the pigtail off the clutch. I had it loose and started the truck, causing the pigtail to somehow get in the fan where it broke it off. So I'm kinda caught between a rock and a hard place. But now the fan is engaged but there is no way to control it and will at some time stop working. At this point I'm thinking about installing electric fans. What do you think about that.

First make sure the wires on the engine side of the connector are good and not chaffed or cut on the belt. I think you should leave it factory and just continue to drive the truck and monitor the fan. The software in the engine computer determines when the fan should be on. The strategy at this point might be to not have it on. If you have access to a good scan tool, you can turn the fan on manually to see if it works. I would leave it stock and monitor it. You already replaced the clutch and that is common but usually there is nothing else wrong with those.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a scan tool I bought from Harbor Freight, not the best but maybe it will do whats needed. What do I need to do to check it. Now the end on the clutch is missing. Is it repairable. I have the one I took off. I still don't know if that sensor is working properly.

You need to see if your scan tool can turn the fan on. If there is a problem with the fan clutch likely a code will be set. The wiring of the clutch is repairable If you have enough wires to connect them back together. But if there is damage to clutch assembly it can only be serviced as an entire unit. I suggest you get the fan clutch back to normal and drive the truck and see if the fans.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With the fan not pluged up will the fan be engaged. I'll work to try and fix the wires on the clutch and see if it will come on, it didn't come on when the A/C was turned on. So if there is no scan code then the unit should be working.

Yes. But like I said,just monitor it and see what happens. I think the high pressure switch turns the fan on with pressure as opposed to when the ac is turned on. I have never tried to see what the fan does when it is unplugged, but I would suspect it is normally free and locks when the voltage is applied.