virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

I lost my ignition key to my 2000 mercury grand marquis,

Customer Question

I lost my ignition key to my 2000 mercury grand marquis
JA: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?
Customer: yes. car will turn over but not start. do I just need a jump?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: cannot think of anything
Category: Ford
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So is the key you have a new key? Or one that you have had that worked before?Let me know so I can continue to help.Thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
key is a duplicate and has never started the car before. It may lack the proper computer chip.
if it's a duplicate the chip most likely isn't in it unless you bout one of the 60 or 70 dollar keys that some Walmarts will do in which it duplicates the code to the chip as well. Otherwise you have 2 options, call a locksmith so they can make a key and program it to your car. Or have it towed to the dealer so they can make a key and program it. You can go to ford with proof of ownership and a vin and they can make a new key but can't program it with out the car there.Sorry but those are the only options. :-/
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.