Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Need to add brake fluid to my 1977 f150. The resivor has 2

Customer Question

need to add brake fluid to my 1977 f150. The resivor has 2 sections. and front looks low. Do both sections need brake fluid?
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? When was it last changed?
Customer: just bought it. state inspection said it was low on brake fluid.
JA: What is the model of your '77 Ford?
Customer: f 150 ranger
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just bought the brake fluid. brakes work but are a little soft. otherwise ok
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: previous owner worked on everything else.engine and transmission. I took the the cap off and the front is low.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

One section is for the front brakes and one section is for the rear brakes. If low, you top it off until both sections are full.

If you are able to, look behind each wheel and see if the backside where the brakes are, are wet with brake fluid. If so, there is a leak that will need to be addressed. If not, drive for a few days and recheck the fluid level. If low again and no fluid leaks at the wheels, then the master cylinder is leaking at the rear seal between it and the brake booster and the master cylinder will need to be replaced

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.