Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2004 f350 windshield wipers quit as did the speedo, Haven't

Customer Question

2004 f350 windshield wipers quit as did the speedo
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: Haven't checked pwr to wiper motor but have checked all fuses looking for wiper relay..
JA: What is the model of your '04 Ford?
Customer: F350 Powerstroke single wheel crew cab
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Assumption is multi function switch, but I'm not certain that explains speedo..
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Recently when this started the diesel engine may boost just fine sometimes sluggish..
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Have you scanned the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting for the speedometer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No sir, the wipers started working on there own, a couple days after this happened the wipers don't work and mysteriously the speedo quit
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The other issue is about the same time it runs rough on cold start and sometimes runs like normal very powerful and sometimes it acts as if something electronic backs boost off and is really doggy..
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

The wipers not working should have no affect on the speedometer so I would scan the system and see if there are any fault codes setting which there should be if the speedometer is not working. As for the wipers there are two fuse you need to double check and that is the #33 fuse in the interior fuse panel as well as the #106 fuse located in the under hood fuse panel. If both fuses check okay then you are going to need to do some testing before you consider replacing any parts. I have enclosed the wiper test steps in the link below as well as the wiring diagram for reference. Have a look and post back if you need help or have more questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My owners manual shows 33 and 106 to be under dash panel..which I checked both and are good..actually 106 has a plastic cover over so I used test light to bridge circuit across with fuse removed..nothing different, is there a relay
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

There is a relay and its built into the wiper motor and not service separate. Take a look at the wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When wipers wouldn't shut off I pulled the tilt down all the way low and everything made a spark but I see no fuses blown... Not sure why an immediate deal that didn't blow fuses would do anything I stated almost immediately no wipers no speedo..
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

You may want to have a look at the connector on the back side of the multi-function switch as well There are some known issues with wiring coming out if the connectors due to the harness being stretched to tight when using the tilt. If that checks okay then run through the steps I sent you and you should be able to determine if its the motor or the switch.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've done all these steps, there's one connector that appears to be have been hot but it is in top connector on multi function switch not wioer section in small lower harness.. It's as I thought before after checking fuses prior to this message popping up, it's multi function switch or wiper motor as I see it..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've got no reply click on wioer motor or washer noise period..
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

I would agree, its one or the other and the test steps should allow you to determine which it is. With out being there to do the testing I sounds like it may be the motor but with out doing the testing that a guess on my part.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's exactly where I was headed with this, not sure what happened I googled wiring diagram as I am a mechanic myself and it auto input my credit card info and I seen shortly after I was charged 5 dollars..not sure how that happened period..but I assure u I'm doing a master reset on my phone if it's storing my credit card info..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I literally input nothing, just went to a screen that said u have been charged $5 for a mechanic..I'm like wtf, I didn't do just automatically did this..
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

I have no access to your information or any control over anything you have been charged nor would I want it. Im just trying to help you and am paid nothing with out a rating from you. I have provided you with the test steps as well as the wiring diagram and if you choose to not pay me then its still your to keep. I do not work for Justanswer, Im a contractor for them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I understand on your end, I just don't understand how it would autofill my credit card info, that's pretty scary and I'll be testing my phone immediately..
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Im not sure how that would happen as well but you can contact customer support and they will help you with this.