HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

My 2001 wind star stalls after I have drive some awhile ,hot

Customer Question

My 2001 wind star stalls after I have drive some awhile ,hot weather and towing boat seem to make it worse, however, it can also stall when not towing. If I let it sit for 30 min or so it always starts. Mechanic gets no codes when checked on computer. Help, always worried about stalling when driving.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, when it stalls will it restart or you always have to let it cool down? Do you have fuel pressure and spark when it stalls out?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When it stalls I always have to wait approx 30 min. If I try to start it it will only sputter but not start. I don't know how to tell
If I have fuel pressure. I might have spark as it sputters like one cylinder is firing when I try to start the van. My mechanic
Can not get a computer read as when the van gets to him it starts on its own. He suggested that I call him when it stalls and he will come out and try to get a reading when it is stalled. I'm driving the van occasionally on short trips and I have not had a problem. It only happens when I have driven awhile ang made several stops or have been towing my fishing boat. I have stalled in parking lots and a busy intersections, frustrating and embarrassing !
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like a weak fuel pump, it overheats and looses fuel pressure, there is a fuel pressure tap on the fuel rail on the front of the engine. Remove the cap and depress the valve. It should have a good blast of fuel pressure come out, if it just trickles or puddles. It has low fuel pressure. Replace the fuel pump and fuel filter. Once it cools down it can produce pressure again

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

If you need more help, let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.