Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2003 Ford Excursion LTD and I have a shimmy in the

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Excursion LTD and I have a shimmy in the front end when I just touch the brake pedal at 50 mph and will continue until I reach 40 mph and then it will stop. We have replace all 4 rotors, aligned the front end, balanced wheels twice, and replace stabalizer shock. Still no luck. Can it be th computer?
JA: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?
Customer: Brakes are less than i month old. Miles is 177,000.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I have taken to two trusted repair people and they are stumped. they are the ones that put all 4 new rotors, replace stabalizer shock, had front end aligned and tires balanced twice.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I do not know what that would be.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

has anyone checked all the suspension components??? tie rod ens and such???

did they hand torque the wheels???

Roy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to all questions.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did you get my answer?
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

ok, thanks

if that is the case, then there is an isue with the rotors. I would remove the rotors and have them checked for being out of round. common for new rotors to be out of round if the parts people do not stack them correctly.

Roy

yes, I am here answering questions

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The rotors were the first thing to be checked. They were all rounded and shaved.
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

rounded????

Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

is there any play in the front wheel bearings???

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was told that. I do not know what it means, but was assured that the rotors was not the problem. Also why would it only happen between 40 mph and 50 mph on braking.? It does not happend any other time. I have driven it up to 80 mph and there is no shimmy. Only when I brake at 50 mph and it will stop at 40 mph.
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

it is all about harmonics with the shimmy.

worn front wheel bearings could definitely cause this issue

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
they were checked and replaced.
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

new info not provided

what else has been done

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
About everything that couldf be done to find the problem. We can't understand why it only happens when you touch the brake pedal at 50 mph and will stop when you reach 40 mph. If you do not brake and just let the car slow down without touching tghe brake, there is no shimmy.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We also had the transmissin checked to see if there was a problem. Got a clean bill of health, not problem with transmmission.
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

we are back to the rotors.

I wish you answer my questions. eveything does not help me

I am out of ideas. I will open it up to other guys for you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What does that mean?
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

I will put it back up on our message board for other guys to view.

please give them all the info you can, not just answer everything

Roy good luck

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will they contact me or what? I am new to this site, so I need a little help in trying to figure it out.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Would you like me to try and help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Moose: Can you review the problem that I have? I have a severe shimmy in the front end, but only when I brake at 50 mph and the shimmy is there until I reach 40 mph and then it stops. So only breaking at 50 mph to 40 mph do I have a problem.
I need help. Thanks,
Bill

Try to answer all of these:

1. Does the amount of brake pressure change things, braking to stop, braking to just lower your speed, braking to miss a collision, pressing the brake just enough to turn on the brake lights?
  2. If you speed up to 60mph, shift to neutral then brake to a stop does this still occur?
  3. Is the vehicle 4x4, if so drive 1 foot while someone watches the axle shaft u-joints behind both front wheels, are they turning?
  4. Are the tires visually or by feel showing irregular tread wear?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will take my car over to a garage and then I will get back to you. Thanks.

Super

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Moose, I took the vehicle up to 65 mph and then put in neutral and stepped on the brake in a normal manner and the shimmy was still there. I took the car over to a mechanic friend and he is going to check the 4x4 and will let me know as soon as he is done with it. We should have it back in about 2 hours and I will let you know the outcome.

Super

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Moose: We have done all the things that were recommended. Someone at the service agency recommended that we change all the tires. to see if that might be the problem. We will do that on Monday, August 1. Can you think of anything else that might be causing the problem?
Thanks,
Bill

So the front axle is not spinning and all the tires are wearing fine from my prior tests?

The only thing I can see left is a front upper or lower ball joint bad effecting the caster or camber when braking or a rear U joint bad making the vibration appear to be coming from the front.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Moose: We were planning on changeing out the wheels on Monday. I do not know if that did the job or not. I did meet with my mechanic and gave him your recommendations yesterday, i do not know if he had time to do anything or not. I will call him today and find out and let you know.
Bill

Super, please do keep in touch.