Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Good AM - I have a 2010 ford escape hybrid yesterday I made

Customer Question

Good AM - I have a 2010 ford escape hybrid yesterday I made a stop in a store and left it running with the AC on. After approximately 10 mins it shut down completely. When I attempted to access the car using the keypad it was completely dead. I used my spare key and it acted like the battery was dead but the lights worked and the time on the clock was unchanged. After some time I got it restarted and drove 5/6 miles and it shut down again. The dash lights including the security light flashes passively and the "motor" one flashed 8 times rapidly. I got it restarted 1 more time and made it a few miles w/same result. I ended up getting a tow. This AM it started and functioned normally - 4/5 miles she died again. Obviously, for rocket scientists like myself, online reads are what happens before going to a mechanic just to get a read on the "what ifs". It appears the constant buzz is the "cooling system pump" that are on hybrids sounds like the probable culprit? It's my kids cat with 225K miles on it (all hwy miles) and I'm the sole owner. 1- does this sound about right? 2 - if so what would be a ballpark fair cost to replace 3 - is it worth repairing AND keeping it? 4 - should I only let the dealership do the work? Any thoughts would be welcomed and appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

You need to get a scan done to see what codes are stored in the system, this will give you a better idea of the problem. The coolant pump is a common problem, the inverter will get too hot and the system will shut down as you describe.

If you bring to the dealer they will have access to the part and have the experience to repair it properly. Cost will be approx $500 to get this done at the dealership. It is worth it? Its up to you, if it still runs and drives good, I would say to keep it.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

ASE Master Technician

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.