HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Replaced cooling fan assembly 2011 fusion 2.5 and still will

Customer Question

replaced cooling fan assembly 2011 fusion 2.5 and still will not come on and run
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes gonna fix myself checked power to 4 prong switch have 12,7 volts but car will overheat and fan does not run. I replaced the whole assy including the controller. is there a fan relay
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: car run greats 146000 miles no issues till now
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 months ago.

Hello, will the fans operate when you turn on the ac? If you apply power and ground will the fans operate?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Keep in mind I replaced the whole assembly which included the fan controller and fan . Next I replaced relay #48 in the fuse panel to the left of the brake pedal. No check engine light which means no codes. I'm stumped
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When ac switch is turned on fan should run but does not even with new assembly it does not run
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 months ago.

I know, just had to see if the new fan is working or not by jumping power and ground to the fan motor, does the ac compressor come on at least when you turn the ac on. Here is the circuit, do you have power from the fuse as shown? There is a ground on both the left and right side of the engine compartment, do the look ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
air conditioning works great when car is moving and compressor runs at idle and cycles normally cooling fan doesn't run
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 months ago.

Ok, its a pretty simple circuit, fuse, 2 grounds, pcm grounds relay in controller for duty cycle of fans.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I checked fuse 28 under the hood it's 60 amp and is fine I also checked fuse 15 climate control under dash. All fine
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 months ago.

Ok and you have battery voltage on pin 1 at the cooling fan module the green red wire and the grounds for the fan look ok? If you jump the fans directly to power and ground do they come on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I will check that in morning and get back to you but I do know at the controller connector I have 12 volts in the female portion of the connector didn't touch posts assumed they were grounds
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 months ago.

You have the circuit schematic. CHeck it out and see what you find.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 months ago.

Hello do you need more help with this concern?