Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2003 Ranger I was messing with the radio harness, changing

Customer Question

2003 Ranger
I was messing with the radio harness , changing out the stereo. I had the harness spliced and accidently touched a few of the open connections. Now I do not get much voltage to hot (red) / groud (blk) at the harness, so the stereo does not turn on (radio fuses are good as well). Using multi-meter at red/blk wires I get about .5 volts. All the fuses on the side of dash are good. All the fuses that I can see under the hood are also good. I do have power to the cigarette lighter next to radio compartment. I am guessing I may have a incline or fusible link upstream from the radio harness that I may have fried?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2.3 I4 engine
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Ford did not install an inline fuse though someone could of installed one aftermarket if the original radio was not in the truck.

Test your grounds and powers to an alternate ground source to make sure there is not a concern with the grounds to the radio. The radio has 3 grounds black and 2 black/green wires. The powers are red/black fuse 28 power only when starting, yellow/black power with the key on or in accessory position fuse 20, light green/violet fuse 29 power all the time. All fuses are under the dash. Can you confirm the fuses have power, I know you mentioned the fuses were good, but we need to see if there is a concern before the fuses.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, so on this truck the only in cab fuses are on the side of the dash, are these the ones you are referring, or do you truly mean to look under the dash for these fuses?

There is only one fuse box under the dash on the drivers side and there are no inline fuses in the dash. The fuses under the hood are not used for this system.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't take out fuses, I am thinking maybe one is fryed and just hard to see, seems like this should be a easy fix......again, there is a fuse box on the side of the dash on this truck, is there another one under the dash? Thanks

There is only one fuse box inside the cab on the side of the dash. You can test fuses with them installed. There are test pins on the face of the fuse to check for battery voltage on both sides or to ohm test them.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
all the fuses are good, what next?

Next is checking the wires to the back of the radio to see if all the powers and grounds there are good. If all are good then your new radio is wired wrong, it has a blown fuse or the radio is bad.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Do you still need help with your Ranger?