cardoctor74
cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to fix all makes and models
3827149

Yesterday I was driving and I heard what sounded like a

Customer Question

Hi there yesterday I was driving and I heard what sounded like a couple of shots of air coming from my 2009 Ford Explorer then as I returned home the car started beeping a wrench symbol the abs light and the rsc light came on. My husband then took the car for a ride and the brakes were locking up on him like almost driving with emergency brakes on what could be the problem?
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Just abs
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2009 ford explorer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried holding the anti skid button for 5 seconds it stops the braking and griding but the abs light was still on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 4 months ago.
Sounds like the abs pump failed which would explain the air noise and the brake problems. Has this been checked?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No we are at home it happened in our driveway is there a fuse or something we can unplug until we get it to a garage
you can remove the abs pump relay in the under hood fuse box. This will stop the abs brakes from operating but you will have conventional brakes which is fine. It's labeled abs so you will not remove the incorrect relay. This is the next step. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi tom, there are two fuses one says abs pump and the other says abs valve do we remove both

Remove both to be on the safe side.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks

Anytime. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.I'm here if you need any further assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok my husband is removing them right now hopefully it works can't really afford a big bill right now. I will definitely rate excellent service

Thanks

Were you able to click excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi tom, is there away to remove the rsc that keeps coming on a service rsc and there is a warning alarm coming on as well
Put the fuses balcony for the abs valve. There is a separate fuse box that has an abs relay you want to remove that as well. You will have a service light when these are removed. If you still don't feel safe just have it towed under you insurance or AAA it's covered.