Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Have 03 ford ranger when t pot hold steering wheel shake a

Customer Question

Have 03 ford ranger when hit pot hold steering wheel shake a lot. This is what I have done so far .new front new outer tie rod,new sway bar links .I do have small link in rack.and new front shocks to
JA: How often does the vibration occur, and when did you last have the tires balanced?
Customer: All the time maybe a yr ago but I do not drive the truck all the time .
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 03 ranger 4.0 4x4
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If I can I do most of my repair on all my cars.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

Typically when we see a pickup with a bad shake after a pot hole or bump the first thing we look at is ball joints. The best way to check them is to lift the vehicle off of the ground from the chassis so that the front suspension is unloaded- then put a pry bay between the control arm and the steering knuckle and pry up or down to check for movement in the ball joint. If the ball joint can be seen moving at all it probably needs replaced. When ball joints go bad they will make the front end shudder and shake badly in reaction to bumps. Sometimes if it gets bad enough the suspension will start to oscillate causing the entire front end to jump uncontrollably. We call this the "death wobble"- it's very scary for the driver. Fortunately they have to be fairly worn for the wobble to occur, unless the vehicle is a dodge.

Check you ball joints and let me know how they look.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it's a little lose not tight as right side is.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I would probably replace them both. You can do just one at a time, but it makes sense to have them wear evenly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
your saying ball joint bad,it wouldn't be the inter tie rod
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

The most likely cause of the shudder over bumps/pot holes? I would suspect the ball joints. If the tie rods are bad you would feel a clunk or play in the steering.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help.

If not, please don't forget to rate. That's how Just Answer compensates us for our time.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Your question has dropped to my timed out list.