HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Po 720 code trans taking to to ingagae when at runnning

Customer Question

po 720 code trans taking to long to ingagae when at runnning temps
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: 720PO
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2000 F250 super duty 7.3
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing just figuring it out before I get toit
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: goes into reverse no problem and if you pull in down into 1 it has no troubles engaging timely.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello, is this the only trans code stored? How many miles are on the transmission? Is it full of trans fluid and does it smell burnt or look red and clean? Any aftermarket modifications to the engine or truck in general?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All looks good it intermediate the problem with taking time to engage has been happening now for abut two weeks. but just today the flashing od light and code happened. It has to be something cause the pressure to be misdirected or not happening. Once it engages no problems till you stop go into park and the back to drive. I replaced the position sensor and it helped some but right back to the issue.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Ok, usually when there is an issue with the transmission slipping it will set a faulty output shaft speed sensor code. You would need to perform a wiggle test of the transmission harness while monitoring the transmission range sensor and tss & oss circuits to make sure there isnt a wiring issue. Since it has a delayed engagement, this could be the sign of an internal issue in the trans. Sometimes the transmission filter will fall into the bottom of the trans pan and aerate since the seal for the filter is split. The filter sits in the bottom of the trans oil pump and hangs in place. if the filter fell into the pan it can cause a delayed engagement.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just had it services and the filter is in place. See alot of talk that it could be the alternator. It does not happen all the time.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no slipping it just doesn't engage unless I drop it into 1st when this issue happens
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Then it could be an issue with the transmission range sensor not reading the correct gear if you have to dump it into manual first gear first. Dont really see altenator RF interefence issues cause this on this model vehicle.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

You would have to make sure the transmission range sensor is reading the correct gear range with a scan tool when you put it in drive and that it commands first gear. If it reads the wrong gear range it could cause a delay. The biggest weak link in this transmission and model year was the intermediate one way clutch which would usually set a code for that speed sensor the tss sensor. which would require removal of the trans and tear down like an overhaul to replace the one way clutch or replace the trans with an updated unit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just replaced it with one from the dealer. Any other ideas?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is an updated unit?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Need to monitor the oss circuit and wiggle test as I previously mentioned to make sure it doesnt loose a signal. AN updated remanufactured transmission. A reman trans will have all newer transmission updates installed if there was any internal hard part modifications since the transmission was new. A line pressure test to see if transmission fluid pressure is low or take a few seconds for it to build up pressure, indicating an issue with a sticking valve or worn check ball, you didnt mention how many miles were on the vehicle or if it had any modifcations, oversized tires etc.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
468k and I sure trans has been redone. When having it serviced the tech side it had updated parts.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

There is no way of knowing if the internal trans parts were updated without taking it completely apart. You cant see inside the transmission stack. With that many miles I would imagine it has been replaced at least once. Thats all I can tell you to do is monitor the oss sensor opertion to see if it flags a fault and if it drops signal when the concern occurs, monitor line pressure with a transmission pressure gauge while operating the vehicle and the concern occurs. There are plastic check balls inside the main control valve body and accumulator valve body that can wear down over time and cause intermittent concerns. Removal of the valve body, accumulator body and solenoid body would be required to drop the seperator plate and check the balls for wear as they sit in the transmission case above the plate

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

Hello do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.

If you need more help let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.