A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have a 2009 ford mustang and the key signal displays on

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2009 ford mustang and the key signal displays on the dashboard and then my car looses power
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: i believe its the anti theft system
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: what should i do
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that's it that's the only issue once th elight comes on , i start to loose power
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 9 months ago.

The issue that is presenting itself can only be fixed by the dealer. There is a fault in the Key itself that is telling the car that it is the wrong key to the vehicle.

The fix is to have the dealer reprogram the key to the factory security system. This shouldn't cost more than 70 dollars if the key is still programmable. If you need a new key the cost will be upwards of 150 dollars.

I would do this as quick as possible before the key fails all together and the vehicle will have to be towed into the dealership at that point.

Hope this helps,

Expert:  A. Penland replied 8 months ago.

Is the light a red padlock looking light on the tachometer side of the instrument cluster or the orange wrench looking light on the speedometer side?
Have you been able to check for any trouble codes in any of the modules in the vehicle?