James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

We have a 2003 f350 with the 7.3. It has excessive smoke

Customer Question

We have a 2003 f350 with the 7.3. It has excessive white smoke when we start it and also whenever we accelerate. We replaces the injectors, head gasket and glow plugs, and it still does this. Brought it to Maney International to have it tested, and they are telling us injector 1 is bad. We will be replacing that one tonight, but in seeing posts online, it does not sound promising that this will fix it. The exhaust smells like diesel fuel, not anti freeze at all. Can someone please help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

Hello, when you start the vehicle up first thing does it run rough at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it does puff white smoke
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It seems to run ok, not rough
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.
Excessive smoke is usually a result of bad injector o rings. This allows a small amount of coolant or oil to get burned. It takes a very small amount to create a lot of smoke. I would replace the injector o rings to correct your concern.If you have other questions please remember to let me know. Also please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.