Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

I have 8.73 volts going to my low beam headlights. gh beams

Customer Question

I have 8.73 volts going to my low beam headlights. High beams work fine. 08 F350
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Yes they are good
JA: What year is your Volts?
Customer: 2008 ford f 350
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I replaced the multifunction switch, check the voltage at the low beam fuses and at the headlight connector, and replaced the bulbs
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i have a snowplow wire harness installed. I disconnected that harness now
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** comes from the smart junction box and they have separate circuits which means the smart junction box has probably failed. You can check connector condition and if good replace the SJB. Here is a wiring diagram to help with testing, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I simply replace the SJB? Or is there programming that needs to be done?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

It needs to be programmed by dealer. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have confirmed that the voltage is low from the SJB. Should I be looking for a cause of this problem or do they just fail?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

They can just fail, this isn't a common problem but there is nothing I see that would cause it. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.