Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

I have a 2002 Ford E250 van. On the rear door (passenger

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford E250 van. On the rear door (passenger side, main door) the pull latch feels rusty: pulling the handle out the door opens but the latch does not return to the close position. It must be pushed to the closed position before closing the door otherwise the door latch mechanism stays open.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

You will need to remove the interior panel for that door and disconnect the cable from the handle. Once the cable is disconnected then isolate if the roughness is in the handle pivots or the cable. If its in the cable then you will need to determine if the cable is binding or the latch itself. There are also pull back springs on the handle and in the latch. Once you have the cable off the handle it should be obvious why the handle is not returning. One of the springs is probably broken.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.