Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2000 Ford Expedition 5.4L won't start. About 9 months ago we

Customer Question

2000 Ford Expedition 5.4L won't start.About 9 months ago we started seeing n hearing a "click" but no crank.
I changed out the starter and the solenoid. Didn't have any problems since...Last week, my son drove it, parked it, drove it, parked it and now it won't start, again...Symptoms:
All electric works, dash lights up, dome lights, head lights are bright.
Upon turning the key the starter plunger "hits" but won't crank the engine. (check for engine seize with wrench on crank - all good)
Tried to "jump the solenoid" with a screw driver - same result - hit but no crank.Took old starter out, put new in - same result.
Had old starter tested at Advance auto and it appeared to be working so put old starter back in and returned new one...Now I'm getting info that the starter testers they use may or may not be effective in that it will only show the plunger popping out and spinning but there is no crank meter to ensure its cranking hard enough to turn the engine (is this true?)Tested the battery - all good... Also put a direct ground from battery to starter and same result...
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Not sure where to look
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: read above, I am familiar with this vehicle (more than I care to be honestly)
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 months ago.

Hi. You may have high resistance in the battery cables. Try jumping the starter by using cables or a jump pack, and set the negative cable on the ear of the transmission and the positive cable on the starter positive. And jump the trigger wire. The starter should crank. Can you try that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
From under the car, you want me to use a jump pack (with the key "on" I assume) and try to start the car while I'm under it?

You can leave the key off so the truck will not start. If you apply power to the starter the engine will turn (if the starter is good) but it will not start. You just need to see if it turns the engine. If it does the starter is good and you may have bad battery cables. If the starter does not turn then it is bad.

Hello. Have you bee able to verify if the starter is capable of turning the engine over?