Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Superduty shake and tapping/chatter noise when accelerating

Customer Question

Superduty shake and tapping/chatter noise when accelerating randomly. When I let go of the accelerator it will go away otherwise if I keep on the accelerator it gets louder and more violent. Can't be duplicated at dealer but recorded the video of the sound and shaking on the highway.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It won't let me attach a file. I can gladly email whoever answers this with the video file from my iPhone. It sounds like it's the drive shaft when I listen to the noise but I'm not sure someone please help he dealer isn't too helpful on my $70,000 truck :( thanks!
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Inform the dealership of this again or seek out another dealership in your area. You can even ask other shops if they are Ford sponsored that are non Ford dealers and they can honor warranties. Then you can get another opinion on it. They would be the ones to show the video to.

On the noise, does it sound like the tapping is coming from under you?

Does the shaking feel like it is in your back like it is the whole truck?

If so, tell the dealer to look at the U-joints on the truck and to check the factory tightening of the u-bolts for the rear axle. We had 7 come bac last week and every one had loose u-bolts for the rear axle. Each one complained of the same thing and you might be one of them. Every one is a new 2016 F250 or F350 that we had to do it to. Our shop is now tightening them up on the presale inspections as soon as they roll off the semi trucks.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there an email address I can send you the video of the noise ? It feels like the whole truck is shaking and that the tapping is right near me
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a 19 second video of the noise
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

I can't give my email address out. The site doesn't allow that.

When you say right near you, like in front of you or below you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Below me
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

Yep, that would be from the rear. U joints are binding from the axle movement so it sounds like you are having the same complaint the others have had.

Tell your dealer to torque the u-bolts.