Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2006 Ford freestyle SEL and the problem is the air

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Ford freestyle SEL and the problem is the air cools but about every couple of minutes the air turns to warm as if the AC has quit. when this happens you can smell a mold odor coming from vents. AC will then cool again. I have replaced the valve on the back of compressor, the dryer, expansion valve, AC compressor, checked cabin filter (door was never cut out for a filter) I don't know where to look next.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: Checked and was ok. anti freeze does not change
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I guess I'm going to have to as I've had it to Ford and 3 other AC so called experts
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I am aware of. with the auto control does it need reset. can't understand the mold smell, could the doors have a mind of its own.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Does it seem to be better or worse at an idle?

Are you open to trying a trick to get it to work? It doesn't require any parts.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
AC does this when driving at any speed.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Something I've done on a number of these variable displacement compressors is swap the scroll valve in the back of the compressor around backwards. This makes the compressor work like a non-variable and seems to solve all of these on gain off again issues we have had with them.

You would have to evacuate the system, remove the scroll valve, flip it around and put it back in with the big end towards the compressor. Then recharge the system and see how it does.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info. Please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional information.