Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger 2WD 3.0L MFI 6 cyl truck, and the

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I have a 1996 Ford Ranger 2WD 3.0L MFI 6 cyl truck, and the other day as I was driving home I smelled a burning smell. I first noticed that my speedometer was losing indication. It was slowly going to “0”. I thought that it must be the cable that had broken which made the speedometer not register anymore. The second thing I noticed was my windshield wipers did not work either. I looked in my manual and found that there was a fuse for my speedometer so I went to that auto store and bought some 7.5 amps fuses and replaced the fuse. Oh yeah, there was also my key in ignition and dome light ringer did not work either. Well as I mention I put in the fuse and the key buzzer worked for just a moment. I smelled that same smell and then nothing. The fuse blew. Now if I put in a fuse I blows immediately. I disconnected the dome light, installed after marked radio, cigarette lighter, but can’t find the problem. Can you tell me what I need to look for?
Thank you for any help you can provide
Jim
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting the fuse that is blowing and the VIN of the vehicle? Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
7.5 AMPS - SPEEDOMETER CIRCUIT BOARD - NUMBER 24 "I THINK"
1N6ND11S1GC452691
D21
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

The VIN comes back as an 86 nissan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
whoops, sorry that was a mistake, here is the correct VIN - 1FTCR14U9TPB02978
sorry
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Is this fuse inside the vehicle or under the hood?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
tell me you are joking
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

The only one I see is inside the vehicle.. but it is a 10 amp fuse. I just want to be sure we are on the same page.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram of fuse 24

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

If this fuse was blown, it would not start.