Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 6 cyl. Car started. Shifted from Park

Customer Question

2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 6 cyl.
Car started. Shifted from Park to Reverse, engine died.
Car would not restart. Solenoid clicks but will starter won't engage. Just a solenoid click.
Replaced starter with no change. Solenoid clicks starter won't turn over.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Have you checked the battery? What about the connections at the starter? What is the battery voltage at?