Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2002 Ford e250 van, fuel gauge not working

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** slosh modules are only on older vehicles not on your 2002 E250. This most likely means the fuel level sender has failed. Unplug the fuel sending unit and ground the Yellow/White (Y/W) wire that goes to the fuel gauge. Turn the key on and observe the gauge. When the Y/W is grounded, the fuel gauge should read empty. If the gauge still reads full, check for an open circuit between the sending unit and fuel gauge, pin 3 of the instrument cluster. If the gauge goes to empty when grounding the Y/W wire, check for a defective sending unit. With the sending unit unplugged, hook up one lead of an ohmmeter to the sending unit circuit that connects to the Y/W wire and the other lead to the sending unit circuit that connects to the BK wire. Resistance specifications for the sending unit are 160 ohms full, 15 ohms empty. If scantool won't even power up then check fuse 23 for being blown. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.