EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 2004 f250 diesel my check gauge light is on, Check

Customer Question

I have a 2004 f250 diesel my check gauge light is on
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Check gauge
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing my self
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I check the gauge temperature gauge tac gauge and transmission gauge not woekin
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 4 months ago.

Hi. There are some fuses you can check to make sure the instrument cluster is fully powered up. If the fuses are good though, you will need to verify power at the cluster. In the fuse box inside the truck, check fuses 41, 35, 33, 45. Check those fuses with the key ON and with a test light and let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I check those the all good

Ok. You likely need an instrument cluster. But the next step would be to remove the cluster and check the wires for power there. Just to verify that it has power and ground.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They cluster have power one half of the cluster is not working the rpm trans temp and the temp gauge are not working bu the other half is work speedometer fuel gauge if I unplugged the battery and plug it back all the gauges move even the other half that is dead

If the cluster has power than it likely has an internal fault where those gauges are not working. I do sometimes see that near the drivers side fender well under the fuse box, wires a known to corrode. It would be worth checking there first, maybe wiggle some wires to see if the problem could be there. Otherwise the instrument cluster is no good.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see and I forgot to tell you this my second cluster I buy it on eBay
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You think it my be bad to

No other clusters worked after installing them?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No both cluster do the same thing only one side work

Then you must have a wiring problem. I would still remove the cluster and check for power and ground at it. And I would also check the wires at the spot I mentioned earlier.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thankyou do you have any type of wire diagram for the cluster
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can you tell me which wire at the cluster I need to check please

At the cluster check for power on the black/pink pin 19, red/yellow pin 20, light green/orange pin 11, black/light green pin 12. and ground should be black pin 15, and pink/orange pin 13

I can offer the wiring diagrams in PDF format. But there is an additional 5 dollar fee to process and send the PDF files. Its up to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How much I owe you so far
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What control the rpm engine temp and trans temp gauge
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't understand how they move when I open the key but not work when I start the truck

So far you owe the website what you agreed upon. looks like 26 dollars.

i do not know how the circuitry of the cluster is desgined but it makes sense that the gagues are powered up by different circuits then what the gage is supposed to read. ie., wiring from the sensors

the gauges you mention are controlled by signals from the engine computer to the cluster

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what else I need to do to see what wrong I check the pin all have power
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any test o wire the I can check to see where the problem is come from

What would be the best thing to do is to use a scan tool that can read data and see if the computer is actually reading the correct rpm and temp. Then you could assume the computer is reading the sensors. And the problem may be the engine computer or the wiring from the computer to the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did a check gauge thing with the cluster is reading the temperature but not the rpm the code the give me was u0155

Did the tachometer move when all the other gauges moved? Possibly in increments of 10%.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

You already replaced the cluster that is not the problem. Sounds like you are left with the engine computer. It may not be sending the signal to the tachometer. The engine computer sends the signals to the instrument cluster over the communication network wires. THere is not much more diagnosing you can do. Except I would still want to use a scan tool to see if the engine computer is reading the rpm from the engine. If so, it would be likely that the engine computer is the problem. Otherwise if the engine computer is not reading the rpm, then it has no value to tell the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I will do that so if I can read the tachometer in the scanner the cluster is bad but if I don't read it the computer is bad

If the computer is not seeing the rpm, it does not mean that the computer is bad. Maybe the cam sensor or what the computer gets for rpm signal is bad. BUt if the computer is seeing rpm and not sending it to the cluster I would say the computer is a good bet. This is a tough sort of problem to isolate because it involves module to module communication. You have already rules out the cluster itself.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I scanned the truck live data and tachometer show temperature show everything show what next

When you installed the cluster did you have it programmed to your truck?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No

Well, we know now that the engine computer is reading the engines data correctly. The question is, is the engine computer sending the info to the cluster. There really is no way to tell. I think you should have the cluster programmed to the truck before replacing any more modules or checking more wires.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so is nothing's else I can check if you have the truck what would you do

I am a Ford dealer tech and have not seen this particular issue before. I know that the cluster has to be programmed. If it was mine I would have it programmed. THen if that didn't fix it I would look for a used engine computer and see if that fixes it. That computer does not need to be programmed. ANd if for some reason that did not fix it, I would have to check the communication wires from the cluster to the engine computer. That would involve using an ohmmeter and checking the wires resistance from the engine computer to the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you tell me how to check the resistance and witch wire I need to check I'm 32 I'm be working on car sense 15 I'm pretty good but I need help help me please

Disconnect the cluster connectors and the engine computer connectors and USING THIS DIAGRAM check the SCP+ and SCP- circuits for continuity.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I'm really lost the cluster and computer have more then one connection

Yes. You need to use the wire color and pin number to find which wire on the correct connector you need. Tan/orange wire, pin 1 on instrument cluster connector. Pink/black pin 2 on instrument cluster connector.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
N computer

Tan orange pin 16 and pink black pin 15.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are u sure is pink / black

I read it backwards. Pink/Light blue.