Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

Trailer brake controller does not seem to be working!

Customer Question

trailer brake controller does not seem to be working ! Checked fuses on dash and under hood. not sure what to check next. brake lights are working
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: It is normal level . Have not changed since bought the truck 2 yrs. ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1992 f350 custom
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Visually traced all wires, checked all fuses on dash and power distribution panel on engine compartment.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Was the trailer hookup tested to see if you are getting power for the brake controller? Do you have a 6 or 7 pin connector?

Does the brake controller have the standard 4 wires on it? If so, check the red wire on the controller to see if you have power each time you hit the brakes. That is the signal wire in from the brake switch. Then check to see if you have power going out of the blue wire. That is the voltage that goes to the trailer. If you have power on these, then the controller is working. If you have power at the connector at the back of the truck, you are good on the controller. If there is power loss at any point or all pints, let me know and I can assist you in where to check next.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.