Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

We just had our f250 2010 diesel die while driving on ghway.

Customer Question

We just had our f250 2010 diesel die while driving on Highway. We where pulling a 28 ft trailer. It won't turn over. But air is on & computer picked up something & shut off the engine. :(
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: We have 2 new batteries & new oil filter & oil recently.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have tried turning over but nothing. We have let out water fuel separator as it was showing it was needing drained
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My husband is looking at the fuses now
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We tried resetting ECM but didn't do anything.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It tries to turn over & over & over again but no fire.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I'm sorry you're having this issue.

I see there was a comment about a computer code? How are you trying to reset the ECM? If by removing the battery cables, don't. That makes the issue worse depending on the code you ave. It could hard set the code. What is the code you are getting?

Fluids are good? Fuses are good? Did you have the check engine light come on before the truck shut down or it just quit out of nowhere?

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My dad checked the codes & it threw back a bad catalytic converter. It's clogged& overheated. We got them to tow our trailer home. Going to drive back & see if we can't get it fixed. Can u bypass the converter by installing a direct pipe instead? We are needing a cheaper alertnative since we may have to pay to get it towed back over 100 miles to our house. Any ideas. Code- P200E was what it is showing.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bought truck used about 3 yrs ago. Hasn't needed servicing since we bought it except all new tires. Oil changes between 3-6k miles always. Also we use desiel exhaust fluid in it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fuses look good. Don't think it did a ck engine light b4 it shut itself off. Engine is original. Has 108, 000 miles on it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a 2010 F250 Lariat
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

You can clear the code, then jump the starter at the feed circuit near the air cleaner or on the starter itself to get the truck started. It resets everything and after that should start with the key. Since you have a scan tool and if it has data logging capabilities, you can watch EGT1, EGT2, and EGT3 with a cold engine. If they are not within 15 degrees of each other you've got a biased sensor. Usually a P200E will set when something is burning in the exhaust (oil or fuel). EGT1 is a pain to replace, they pretty much always are seized in the turbo inlet pipe..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. We will try that when we get there. It turns but won't fire when we left it yesterday. It's a desiel engine 6.4L V8.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

I know. I'm just trying to help you get it running so you can get it home and then work on it there instead of on the road.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Gotcha. Yes getting it home to fix it would be much better. What is the step by step way to start it you suggested earlier?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

On the solenoid behind the air clenwer. Jump the 2 prongs or at teh starter, jump the 2 prongs. Use a screw driver to do so. It bypasses the computer start through the PCM.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Will try that. Will let u know if we still don't get it to fire up. Should arrive shortly. Thank you for the help thus far..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My husband doesn't understand how to jump it using 2 prongs. I think he's very confused & doesn't understand. Do u have more detail on how to do that. He has no idea what he's looking for or how to do it.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

I have church service here shortly with family breakfast after so I will be occupied for a little bit.

Let me know if you have any luck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No luck. Can't access the starter & my husband doesn't know where the selinoid is at on this year truck. We are having it towed to a shop. Let u know what they find out tomorrow when they are open.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

Well, let me know what they tell you.

Is there a tuner on this truck by chance? If so, remove it from the OBD port, then pull the fuse for the PCM, reinstall it, then see if the truck will allow a start. Some of the tuners will throw that code.

Also, check the oil and see if it had mixed fuel into it.

If not thee any more, then I will wait to see what the shop says.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nope, the truck is stock without a tuner.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

Well, there went that. So much for the easy fix.

Thee is oil or fuel in the exhaust being detected so the engine shut down from it. That is why there is that code. I see them a lot when the turbo starts to bypass a little oil from the seals. It doesn't mean the turbo is bad, it just means it's wearing down and starting to drip through a little bit. The engine could also be overfueling a little bit from a worn injector that is starting to go bad. That is why I was asking if at the truck to see if it is building fuel in the oil indicating the injector is leaking.

These are the worst case issue for the code. The simple case is the sensor could be acting up and needs to be replaced. It is very, very difficult to get to it to get it off sometimes with where it sits behind the turbo and down the pipe. Most of us fabricated a special tool to get it off and then we pray that we don;t strip it off or we are replacing the pipe at our cost.

At this point with it already at the shop, at a minimum if they say they can;t get it in right away, you can ask them to do a override (only a Ford tool can do it) and get the truck home or if they are quick, they can diagnose it.

I was trying to keep from going to a shop.

Please do let me know what they say on this.