Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

Im getting code p1271 and I did an injector buzz test and #1

Customer Question

im getting code p1271 and I did an injector buzz test and #1 sounded muffled. I have t open the valve cover check the wires and if that's not it then I think my injector is bad. I have no choice but to drive about 10 miles tomorrow to make other repairs on my 7.3l. if I cant fix it tonight with this damage the motor in any way driving with number one miss firing?
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: no and no. I had the valve cover open yesterday due to an oil leak and im wondering if I hit the wire for #1
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: f350 200
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 2000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just the buzz test and checked the outer connector of the valve cover harness to make sure it was fully connected
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I rebuilt my turbo with all up graded parts... i did that yesterday as well
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 months ago.

It will not hurt to drive the vehicle in the short term but I would restrict my driving and be sure to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Here is what I would do as far as testing, Access the injector driver module located in the left front wheel well. Unplug the module and look for any signs of water or corrosion, repair as necessary. With connector unplugged, apply 12 volts to the pins indicated on attached injector circuit diagnostic and ensure that voltage comes back from all the injectors. If any injector circuits show a significant voltage drop, perform the same test at the valve cover gasket, see the attached valve cover gasket test. If it still fails at the valve cover, test the resistance of injector on that circuit. Normal injector resistance is 1.5 to 3.5 ohms. If the injector resistance is out of range, suspect a failed injector coil. If the injector is ok, but the circuit tests fail through the valve cover gasket, replace the gasket and the under valve cover harness. If the test fails at the injector driver module(IDM), but passes at the valve cover gasket, suspect a shorted circuit between the IDM and the valve cover gasket. If all the circuit tests pass, and valve cover gasket, harness, and fuel injector are ok, but the codes continue to set, suspect an IDM issue. Test powers and grounds to the IDM before replacing the IDM

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you i will try all this tomorrow after i rebuild the front end...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i forgot to mention that i did degrease the motor as well due to the oil leak but i was no where near the idm with water i washed out the valley. and after i used my air nozzle to dry any electrical connections. the only other codes have to do with the ebp which i disconnected due to other issues
Expert:  Daryl replied 3 months ago.

It does not seem like a problem but double checking any connectors in that area would not hurt.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks! Im sure ill be bugging you again over the weekend.