Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

My 2009 Ford Focus turns on when I turn the key but won't

Customer Question

My 2009 Ford Focus turns on when I turn the key but won't start unles I push the key in while turning
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: The wheel turns and everything works but the miotor won't turn over the key is a little worn
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Iv replaced the electronic modal directly behind the key tumbler
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I haven't disconnected the battery at all
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Sounds like either you need to replace the cylinder itself or the PATS ring is going bad behind the cylinder. I will forewarn, if you unplug that ring or change the cylinder, you will need to program the keys back to the car. It will think you are stealing it and it will shut the PCM down so don't change it until you have a locksmith that can do key programming ready to come out or you are at the Ford dealership ready to do the programming. Otherwise you will pay for a tow and that will make you unhappy.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I took the ignition switch out and saw the actuator pin doesn't push out that far and I had to press real hard for it to work and crank the engine
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

Try lubing it with graphite grease spray to see if it will loosen up for you. Otherwise, it will need to be replaced.