Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

Ford Escort 1996 1.9L - Ford Escort 1996 1.9L - Engine

Customer Question

Ford Escort 1996 1.9L -
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ford Escort 1996 1.9L - Engine starts easily, then shows P1270 and stalls. What could cause the computer to think that the engine speed was high when it is really under 2000 RPM?
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: No check engine lite. P1270 code shows only on scanner. Car stalls 2-3 seconds after starting, with engine speed still low.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Have changed Mass Air Flow Sensor - No change
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Are you able to reset the code?

What it tells me is the engine has reached it's limiter by someone driving it and the code needs to reset. If you are resetting it and it still does this, then check the alternator. Typically you will see the RPMs fluctuate when it is bad. Also, check your tires. Tires slipping can cause this when they are worn.

CLICK HERE for an article written about this code.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.