A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2011 edge 75000 miles. 5th or 6th time in the last year, the

Customer Question

2011 edge 75000 miles. For the 5th or 6th time in the last year, the car would not start. Seems to happen when it is really hot - 103 today. If I wait ten or fifteen minutes it will start ok. Battery tests fine. dealer cannot find a problem. tried checking battery connections - tight and clean and dry. Tried moving the shifter, wiggling the key in the ignition, with no luck each time. Why after waiting a few minutes will it start?
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: no the battery looks ok.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: dealer looked at it last summer, the last occurrence, and again found no problem
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: everything seems to work- lights, gauges, radio. today I again opened the hood, checked the battery and connections. just waiting a few minutes and it will start. Only once last summer did I need a jump to get it started. this has happened so intermittently the dealer does not know a solution.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 months ago.

Is the problem an engine crank over by the starter but will not start or is it the engine will not crank over at all by the starter?