Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2002 ford 7.3 L. Turbo waste gate moves when running in

Customer Question

2002 ford 7.3 L . Turbo waste gate moves when running in park , however will not move when in gear. Or driving . Perform run test during run test waste gate moves full . What's up with that ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 4 months ago.

Hi Chris, My name is***** you getting any fault codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I p r code . The I p r and I c p have been replaced . Truck runs good at first . Then after some time it has a loss of power . Shit off and let sit 5 min, runs ok . Till it don't again . Fuel psi is good . Trans is new . Icp and ipr on scanner are in sink . There is fuel smell from exhaust when it starts to run poor . Koer test no codes . Koeo no codes . Map at 14 oil clean and full .
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Boost psi drops out when poor run starts to happen .

Click on this link and see PDF page 16. Check your EBP sensor and wiring and for any leaks in the EBP sensor tube. this link will also provide the testing and troubleshooting info for your IPR and ICP faults. Let me know

Troubleshooting

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The waste gate has what looks like an ipr that controls it . Not vacume .
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ebp is reading good
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is p c m get signal to send to waste gate sensor
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm I Evan looking at this right ? So lost right now .!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Waste gate will not move when truck runs poor . Can smell fuel and see smoke from exhaust . Turbo will have 14 lbs when runs good and 4 lbs when runs bad
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok , so the e b p r gets a signal from the p c m . Where dose the p c m get the info to send signal to the e b p r ?

E series does not have a wastegate turbos. See PDF page 15

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need to talk to a different tec please . Sending me to a web sight is not helping . I can find web sights without paying someone to tell me to go and look it up my self , thanks
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

Would you like me to try and help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you . I have a 2002 E 350 . I have replaced the I c p and I p r . It will run good for some time , ie 10 to 75 miles depends -: then it starts to run poor . You can smell fuel and see black smoke from exhaust. ... When it's running good I will have 14 l b s boost when it's running poor , it has 4 l bs boost . There is a waste gate and a sensor on pedestal . When at the shop testing it it will move but when you put it in gear it will not move . Don't understand that , the big thing is when it starts to run poor it still don't move to add boost . Trying to fix this issue .., can you help
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong the poor run is random that's what's killing me
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hay moose you still there
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Are you sure I have the correct year model? Are you sure your watching the wastegate.

Look at the very first line in this file from Ford.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/wastegate.pdf

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok moose I will look at it in the morning . it . is a 7.3 and it has a sensor on the turbo pedestal .also has what looks like a waste gate that is oil driven . There is no vacume lines going to it .
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It will move from wide open to closed one time then will not move after that . Unless you shut truck off and restart it .
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok . So the date on the door is 08-2001 and it's a F-450
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
SORRY E-450
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ebp

The pressurized oil entering the turbocharger also serves to actuate the exhaust back pressure warm-up system. This system consists of an actuator and a butterfly valve. This system operates only during the cold weather and warm-up cycle to get the engine up to operating temp faster. At operating temp the EBP is open a not used.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks . Looking at e b p sensor now

Do you need any more help from me or are you pleased with my help?