Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

AC is only blowing cold on deceleration. When I give it gas

Customer Question

AC is only blowing cold on deceleration. When I give it gas sounds like the damper changes but no Ac from the vents
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts up just fine but some times runs rough for 2 or 3 minutes. I don't notice any change in gas usage.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: XLT super duty 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have tried nothing yet. Thought maybe the return air filter or damper sticking
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is caused by a lak in the vacuum resevoir, and when cruising and accellerating, you lose vacuum, the resevoir is used to store vacuum when its under load, so the vacuum actutors under the dash dont swich when accellerating, you can replace the resevoir, but we use one way check valves installed in the vacuum line going to the firwall to prevent this, are you planning on fixing this your self?