Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1998 Ford F150, 2wd, 4.6L that we rebuilt the

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Ford F150, 2wd, 4.6L that we rebuilt the engine for. Now the truck runs great, but the gear selector doesn't but the transmission into gear. It has neutral only no matter what gear the selector is in. We did change out the flywheel, and we have triple checked with Ford dealer it is the correct one, but no Transmission. That is the only thing near the transmission we touched. We don't really know what state it was in when it came in, but we have to assume it moved. There is no pressure registering from the pump.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you scan the computer system are the any fault codes setting?

Fluid level is clean and full correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the fluid level is clean and full. We have triple checked that also.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there are no codes from the ODB2
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay well if there is no pressure from the pump and the torque converter is turning it and the selector level is moving into the proper gear selection at the transmission then the problem is likely a failing pump or an internal leak in the transmission . The computer system on this transmission can not command neutral and if there was an electronic control issue you would usually have a fault code and or codes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, when I say the selector is moving, it is, but poorly. It doesn't line up. In between R and N is Park for example. We are going to try and test the pump today. What's the easiest way to test that without tearing it down?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Start with making sure the shiftier is moving at the transmission and if so then there really is no way to check the pump besides checking the pressure with out removing it . Did you make sure the torque converter was properly seated when you installed the engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We already have the trans out and yes we believe it was properly seated, but how can we make sure. What should we look for? But if it wasn't, would the no pressure issue still exist?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

If the converter is not turning the pump there would be no pressure . One big problem you have is you dont know what condition the transmission was in before you did your overhaul. You may just have a failed transmission.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Actually we did have a P1506 code, but didn't think it was related. Could it be? What's the most likely cause for that?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The code P1506 is an IAC (idle air control valve) concern and will have no affect on the transmission. See the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P1506%20Jul%2020.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The TC spins the pump and the pump is not making any noise at all.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay that can only mean the pump is not producing any pressure or theirs an internal issue causing a lack of pressure. I do not think this is anything you caused and your likely looking at a replacement and or an overhaul.