James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a gauge problem with my 1997 Ford F-150. gauges went

Customer Question

I have a gauge problem with my 1997 Ford F-150. gauges went erratic, was told it was alternator. I installed a brand new one and a new battery. Now when I start it is ok, the longer I drive, the higher the oil gauge goes, I stop to idle, the battery gauge goes to 18 volts, the gas ga. to empty, the low fuel light comes on, the water ga. goes to hot all the way, oil gauge goes low. Any ideas on what the problem could be? The truck runs fine.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

Hello, based off of your details it sounds like your instrument cluster is failing. It not the best thing but sometimes if you smack the top of the dash with your hand and it goes back to normal you know it is the cluster. That is what I would suspect as your issue.