Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2003 ford ranger 4.0 2WD with the 5r55e. Do you

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford ranger 4.0 2WD with the 5r55e. Do you know what other year model Ranger with the 5r55e will interchange? It seems when I look for one it only lists 01-03.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
For instance, will a 5r55e out of an 2005-2007 ranger 2wd bolt directly to my 2003?
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

I am finding the same information from Ford that the 01-03 in the Ranger and Mazda B are direct replacements. The sport trac should also work (based on my experience rebuilding them, not based on Ford info). The newer models have different gear ratios which will effect the way your computer controls the transmission.

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my options are only limited to 01-03 5r55e out of Rangers, Mazda Bs, and possibly sport tracs?

That is correct. If you get outside of that range you are going to run into issues where as the computer controls it wrong and stores codes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I checked fleet.ford.com and looked at the gear ratios for different model years, they appear to be exactly the same. Well at least from 01-07.

If you want to try a non compatible year, that is your choice.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris