Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

WHAT COULD BE CAUSING A 2003 FORD EXPLORER SPORT OCCASIONAL

Customer Question

WHAT COULD BE CAUSING A 2003 FORD EXPLORER SPORT OCCASIONAL 'NO START' IN HOT WEATHER?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES. I AM JUST DOING THE RESEARCH RIGHT NOW. I BOUGHT THE ORIGINAL FORD WORKSHOP MANUAL, BUT IT DEALS MOSTLY WITH HOW TO TAKE THE CAR APART AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER. IT DOESN'T SUGGEST POSSIBLE CAUSES OF A PROBLEM. I BOUGHT THE SHUT OFF FULL SWITCH LOCATED INSIDE CAR ON PASSENGER SIDE, BUT HAVE NOT INSTALLED IT YET. I HEARD IT IS BETTER TO MOVE IT TO THE SIDE PANEL?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: AT FIRST THE NO START WERE INFREQUENT, BUT NOW THEM SEEM TO BE OCCURRING MORE FREQUENTLY. THE UNCERTAINTY OF WHETHER THE CAR WILL START OR NOT IS MENTALLY DRAINING WHEN MY WIFE NEEDS TO MOVE TO HER NEXT JOB.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: ENGINES RUNS GREAT--ALWAYS CRANKS, BUT OCCASIONALLY WON'T START. ONLY HAS AROUND 60,000 MILES ON IT. MECHANICS SAY NO COMPUTER CODE IS SEEN, AND THEY CAN'T DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the first thing I would do is to check the fuel pressure. check it when it is runs good. then when it will not start, re check to see if the pressure is the same. you may have a weak fuel pump.

beyond that, we need to see if has spark when it will not start

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 4 months ago.

are you there